Moving house doesn’t have to be stressful if you have got everything planned. An unplanned move always causes last minute hassle and damages. One of the most effective aspects of planning is creating a checklist.
A checklist minimizes your stress of forgetting something important and ensures that nothing is missed during the move.
Checklists are particularity crucial if you have a bad memory. But even a person with a strong memory tends to forget things due to the moving stress.
If you are moving for the first time or need ideas for creating a checklist, here is a basic moving man’s checklist.
- Collect free boxes from stores.
- Provide sufficient padding for fragile items such as crockery and glassware. Wrap each piece with butcher’s paper.
- Gather linen, socks, towels, and t-shirts for packing supplies.
- Bubble wrap fragile items containing glass pieces such as picture frames and table tops.
- Pack television and such items in their original box.
- Pack heavy items such as books magazines, and records into small boxes. Pack lighter items such as linen and toys in large boxes.
- Empty all cabinets and drawers.
- Dismantle pre-fabricated and flat-packed furniture.
- Click pictures if wirings and furniture before unplugging or dismantling them.
- Disconnect and drain the washing machine hoses.
- Hire professionals to install the transit rods of the front-loading washing machine, or do so by checking the manual.
- Disconnect gas bottles from outdoor heaters and barbecues.
- Check if every moving box is taped and shut properly.
- Label each box with the room and contents.
- Empty, clean, and dry the fridge and freezer.
- Colour code while labeling the boxes.
- Ensure that the moving box containing fragile items are labelled as ‘fragile.’
- Ensure that the moving box containing valuables are not listed in the label.
- Create an inventory sheet of all the boxes and its contents.
- Have a separate bag filled with small valuables such as jewelry, phones, wallets, keys, and passports. (Transit this bag yourself).
- Compile medical records.
- Call the removalists and take the drives and movers number.
Keep in mind that no two people will have the same requirements during their move, and thus you should make it a point to customise the checklist based on your packing and moving requirements.
The above checklist will prove to be useful.
So, make use of it make your move hassle-free and stress-free.